As part of the brief we were asked to try using a medium format film camera.

I borrowed from the college a Mamiya RB67 medium format film camera and got some 120 black and white roll film, as the camera was very heavy I decided to also borrow a tripod to make sure I kept the cameras steady as I shot my images.

Before I took the film camera to do some of my own testing we were shown a range of different medium format cameras and how they work, I took the back of of the cameras so I was used to how to put in the film correctly, using a tester roll I continued to place the film in and take it out so I knew I could do this by myself once I was with out help.

I also looked through the view finder, this showed me a reverse of the image I was aiming at, it took a while to get used to how the image was seen but after testing the cameras I then felt at ease when taking one out to do my own shoots.

Once I had been able to practise in the class room I then too a camera out for myself and took some images at home, altogether There were 10 shots In my roll of film, From these 10 I was able to capture 6 usable negative images, I had the roll developed and have added the negatives into my folder.

At first I found it hard to figure out how to take the first images, even though I had been shown all the buttons and settings in class it was quite difficult to remember the process of taking the image, the first image I shot was when looking down the lens whilst trying to push in the capture button, I had figured out that it was set to lock so that it couldn’t be pressed by accident, after this I then took the camera and tripod into my garden where I took a series of images of my son I looked down the view finder and adjusted the focus manually until the image I felt looked clear, I was using outdoor ambient lighting and believe the camera was set up on 400 iso, I had the fstop at 2.8.

Although most of my images came out just as I had taken them some were over exposed, I think this was because I had a high iso at some points and the light from the sun was facing directly to the camera, as you can see in some of the over exposed images (in the sleeve in my folder) the middle of the image is blown out and you cam briefly make out the trees around the edge.

If I was to take these images again I would make sure that the sun was behind me to ensure that the images wouldn’t be overexposed or possibly changing the settings on the camera for example bringing the iso down to around 200.

Other than the few images that hadn’t come out as expected I was happy with the results I got, and feel a little more confident in using medium format cameras, this could be something I could look into offering with more practice for a retro style wedding alongside the digital wedding images offered, I have looked into film used for wedding photography and although it is a very small market it is still readily available and has  an audience interested in this style of photography.

Advertisements